Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Using Sakrete ? ? ?

On Mon, 04 Sep 2006 10:35:04 -0400, wrote:

On Mon, 04 Sep 2006 13:23:20 GMT, "Ray"
wrote:

I need to patch a 2 inch x 2 feet x 5 feet area of my basement concrete
floor.

I will use the Fast Set Ultra Sakrete, but the web site gives confusing
instructions on how to use it. Some questions:

1. Is this mix thick enough that it can be spread on a slight incline to
drain, or does it seek its own level, like water?

2. There is something in the instructions about water rising, then
evaporating or soaking back into the concrete. What does this mean?

3. There is something about "curing" which is very confusing. The
instructions indicate I should spray the newly laid Sakrete, but it doesn't
say how often.

What's your hurry? Use the regular concrete mix

Mix it fairly stiff and it will stay where you put it., Proper
hydration only requires that all the powder gets wet. You can tell by
the color change. It can be stiffer than peanut butter.

Water will rise to the top as it sets since the concrete is heavier.

Cure it as slow as you can. I would cover it with plastic and keep it
wet at least a week. Concrete only reaches it's design strength in 28
days. Insufficient curing will cause it to "spall" and the top will
chip off.

On the tour of the Panama Canal in 1971, the guide said that the canal
cement gets harder every year since it was built, about 1905 iirc. He
said that if even a big steel ship hits the walls of a lock, it's the
ship that gets damaged.