Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Dembroge Mike Dembroge is offline

Default Q: Variance in Plywood thickness

For those of you that use a lot of plywood in your cabinets, casework, etc,
what do you find as an acceptable amount of thickness variance in your sheet
goods?

My last 3 projects all used plywood of various species (A-1 Mahogany, A-2
Maple, C-2 Maple), and all was purchased from the same source: PALS in
Oakland, CA. However, I found with each project that the thickness of the
plywood varied not only between sheets, but within the same sheet as well.
On my last project, I measured .009" difference in about 25" of length in a
sheet. While this doesn't sound like a lot, it was enough to create a
sloppy dado at one end and a too-tight-to-fit one on the other.

Am I being too fussy, or is this normal? I spend a fair amount of time
setting up the stacked dado set to produce a clean-fitting dado that is not
too sloppy and not so tight that it distorts the material. So, when I make
several cuts and some don't fit, it's a PITA.

Mike
Alameda, CA