Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Roger is offline

Default American toilets

The message
from Douglas de Lacey contains these words:

AEI was taken over by GEC some years before GEC took over English
Electric. The EECo takeover would have been somewhere around 1967.

Not quite.

Memory fades and I had forgotten that the 2 takeovers were so close
together.

AFAICS none of you have mentioned EELM for which a friend of mine
worked. Or was that just an internal name?

That abreviation didn't ring any bells so I did a quick google and found
the following quote (at zdnet.co.uk) in an article headed "Alas poor
ICL, we knew it well..."

"I actually worked for ICL, once. It was before it was called ICL; I had
a job as a programmer for English Electric Leo Marconi Computers (EELM)
in 1965".

Part of a sad tale of the ruination of the British computer industry.

--
Roger Chapman