Posted to misc.consumers.house,misc.invest.real-estate,misc.consumers.frugal-living
Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default Buying a house without a buyer's agent - negotiating tips?

On Mon, 04 Sep 2006 11:01:37 -0700, wrote:

On Mon, 04 Sep 2006 11:27:03 -0500, in misc.consumers.frugal-living Vic Smith
wrote:

They should have a relationship of trust with you, and work for your
interests..

]

They work for their commission and it's in their interest for their buyer to buy
it for the highest price possible. I don't think anyone actually works for the
buyer.

I covered that:
"The asking price of 180k was ok to me (my county has all home sales
prices available on-line,) but I let the agent run the show.
Our agent said to offer 170k. How did she know this? Why did
she advise to cut some hundreds from her commission?
I'd say she was a good agent."

That contradicts what you say. Nobody here has discussed ethics.
Nor the importance of referrals to RE agents' future business.
Nor the part relationships play in conducting business.
BTW, this agent also recommended a loan broker. She may have gotten
a referral fee from him. I don't know, or care. What I do know is
that before I called him I shopped around for loans.
He served me better, and did so for two subsequent refi's.
One problem many people have in conducting transactions is that they
assume everybody is dishonest. Why they believe that isn't
too hard to figure out. My motto is "trust unless that doesn't work."

--Vic