Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] gary.roberts1@gmail.com is offline

Default Drainage Problem

Hi -

I wondered if you could suggest the best solution to a small water
problem. My soil is clay, but the area close to the house has been
cultivated and enriched with some organic material.

I have had a little water intrusion into my basement off and on for
several years in my 30-year old house. The exterior slope is slightly
toward the house and when we have had some downpours, especially when
the gutters stopped up, we got a little water in the basement.

A relative said I need a drainage system, like a gutter, right up
against the house. I did not know if that would work, am guessing there
is a better solution. I don't know if I should just try to change the
slope of the lawn in front of that wall or if I need a french drain
too. I can taper the landscape slightly down away from the wall to
about 3 and 1/2 feet from the house. If I go further than that, I'll
need to dig up some "mops." Should I try that first, then if we get
water again install the french drain at that lowest point? Do you have
another better idea?

Thank you,
Gary