Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Firewood drying question

"Ook" Ook Don't send me any freakin' spam at zootal dot com delete the
Don't send me any freakin' spam wrote in message
Not exactly home repair, but I bet many of you can answer this one. I have
a couple cords of green wood, mostly 2" and 3" diameter logs. I have it
sitting outside in the sun in a single layer on a concrete pad. How long
would it take for it to be dry enough to burn? I expect to be able to
leave it outside in the sun for up to a month before the rain sets in,
after which I'll put it under a carport that is open at both ends.

It depends on how long the wood is. Wood dries mainly from the ends and
splitting has little to do with it. If it is about a foot long then several
months is long enough. If 3 or 4 feet long, then it will take over 6 months
to dry to the same ammount of water content.