Posted to misc.consumers.house
KLS KLS is offline

Default Buying a house without a buyer's agent - negotiating tips?

On 4 Sep 2006 08:16:40 -0700, wrote:

I am not really trying to get into the semantics of who is
technically paying whom. It's too bad this thread has taken
this turn.

The problem is that in the United States, these "semantics" are
exactly what you're battling against, as Doug has been telling you.
You're right that agents can adjust their commissions pretty much at
will, but as he's pointed out to you, 1) they won't unless there's a
financial advantage, and 2) even if there is, they still won't because
the system is so strongly entrenched that their best interests are
supported by the status quo, rightly or wrongly.

My advice to you is to continue the battle you're fighting because
logically you are absolutely correct. However, you also need to be
prepared to lose a lot of deals before you find the one that comes
together the way you want. So, I wish you all the best in your
crusade because I agree with your general principle about agents
taking too much of the profits. Maybe in 5-10 years we'll have a more
equitable real estate buying/selling mechanism.