Posted to misc.consumers.house,misc.invest.real-estate,misc.consumers.frugal-living
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default Buying a house without a buyer's agent - negotiating tips?

In article .com, wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:

I still don't understand why listing agents would rather
lose the deal than rebate even a single cent of
the buyer's agent's commission

Because you're not the only person in the world who's willing to buy that
house.

Maybe I am, maybe I am not. Don't know where you are, but
in my neck of the woods houses aren't exactly flying off the lots.

It's the same way here, too, from what I'm told. (Indianapolis)

The real estate bubble passed us by. Prices have been dropping,
now they are back up again, but there is a lot of new development
holding prices down.

Definitely the case here too. So the seller may have some motivation to lower
his asking price. How he goes about doing that is not the buyer's concern.

What, you think you're the only guy who's ever gone househunting without
having a buyer's agent?

No, of course not. That's exactly why I am here, asking questions:
to get some advice from people who have done it before, to
educate myself, to clear my misconceptions. I am sorry if
my attempts to learn rub you the wrong way, but you don't
really have to be so hostile, you know?

I'm not being hostile, just realistic. You're not a party to the
listing contract. You have no power to alter its terms. Yet despite repeated
explanations of that from several others in addition to me, you persist in
thinking that you do. That's *not* realistic.

--
Regards,