Posted to alt.home.repair
Lawrence Lawrence is offline

Default Firewood drying question

Ook wrote:
Not exactly home repair, but I bet many of you can answer this one. I have a
couple cords of green wood, mostly 2" and 3" diameter logs. I have it
sitting outside in the sun in a single layer on a concrete pad. How long
would it take for it to be dry enough to burn? I expect to be able to leave
it outside in the sun for up to a month before the rain sets in, after which
I'll put it under a carport that is open at both ends.

wood that small shouldn't require any splitting. Some folk will burn
almost anything but one year under cover is considered adequate. For
sure it will dry faster if split but unlikely to be worth it with small
wood like that. a carport sounds excellent and there are no special
requirements, just stack it neatly out of the way but not too far from
the stove.