Posted to alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon George E. Cawthon is offline

Default Aluminum Ladder load ratings

Hugh Glass wrote:
On 4 Sep 2006 06:49:23 -0700, "Section 31" wrote:

I am buying an aluminum ladder soon. I see that the loads ratings vary
from Grade 1 to grade 3. I was looking on the net and I read an
article that all aluminum ladders are tested so that each rung on the
ladder can hold 800lbs of weight regardless of grade. Does anyone know
if that is true ?
I will be using it for around the house type of work...I take it grade
1 is good enough?

Thanks.

I'd never heard anything like the article you read.
It's more than simplty the load ratings. Type 1 ladders are flimsy &
lightweight. Compare the weight of them at the store.
If you're talking about a six foot step ladder for changing light
bulbs it might suit your needs.

A 24' fully extended type 1 ladder will have a lot more sway than a
type 2.

Go for the type 2 - the few extra bucks will be worth it.

You guys need to get your ratings corrected. The
ratings in increasing strengths are 3,2, and 1. 1
is the strongest, course there are subsets of 1 also.