Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn Goedjn is offline

Default Firewood drying question

On Mon, 4 Sep 2006 13:21:07 -0700, "Ook" Ook Don't send me any
freakin' spam at zootal dot com delete the Don't send me any freakin'
spam wrote:

Not exactly home repair, but I bet many of you can answer this one. I have a
couple cords of green wood, mostly 2" and 3" diameter logs. I have it
sitting outside in the sun in a single layer on a concrete pad. How long
would it take for it to be dry enough to burn? I expect to be able to leave
it outside in the sun for up to a month before the rain sets in, after which
I'll put it under a carport that is open at both ends.

Well.. It will BURN right now.

Depends on what kind of wood, and whether it's been split.
Ideally, you'd want to split it and then let it sit
for a year. Failing that, split it fairly small,
(well, it's already pretty small,
so just split each stick once, you may
be better off using a froe if you can find one,
or a machette and a mallet for splitting small
stuff.)
and roast each armload/hopper next to the stove while
the previous one burns. And inspect the chimney every
couple months for as long as you're burning bad wood.