Posted to alt.home.repair
Ook Ook is offline

Default Venting the attic - powered fan or not?

I had a thermostat powered fan in my attic. It would come on low speed about
10am, high speed about noon, and run until about 10pm or so. It made no
difference in my power bill, it just made me feel better thinking my attic
was not as hot as it would be without it. If I had to do it over again, I'd
just have a couple of good vents and leave it alone.

"Himanshu" wrote in message
Home was built in 1960, located in New Hampshire. One story house with a
gable roof/Hip.

In the summer the temperature difference between the living area and attic
was in the region of 25F-30F, and upto 35F-40F on the hottest days.

Went up in the attic and found that the ridge vents were OK but soffit
eaves were blocked by the second layer insulation. So I pulled back the
insulation from the edges and inserted "prop-a-vents" along the sides.

About 2/3 of the work was done while it was still hot and I noticed that
there was a small temperature-difference drop on most days but on hot days
the differential was still 30F or so.

Now I've just finished the rest of the work, but it's not hot enough to
compare the temperature difference -- it's about 17F today on a cool day.
However, it is easier to get contractors to come out and do work in the
attic or on the roof during the cool season So I'm wondering, should
I:

1. Have a roof vent installed - it's just a small, molded, vented plastic
square that goes on the roof and vents air to help the ridge vents, and
will that help on hot days, or

2. Have a power vent installed? The fan itself is not too expensive, but
it would require running a new power circuit to be run up from the
basement to the attic, which will raise the total cost quite a bit.

Opinions?

--
Himanshu