Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default Aluminum Ladder load ratings

On 4 Sep 2006 06:49:23 -0700, "Section 31" wrote:

I am buying an aluminum ladder soon. I see that the loads ratings vary
from Grade 1 to grade 3. I was looking on the net and I read an
article that all aluminum ladders are tested so that each rung on the
ladder can hold 800lbs of weight regardless of grade. Does anyone know
if that is true ?

That might be true-- but even if the rung can take 8 00 pounds-- the
rails will fold up just when you don't want them to.

I will be using it for around the house type of work...I take it grade
1 is good enough?

Around the house like maybe having to carry a bundle of shingles up
while nearly extended? A bundle of shingles weighs about 70 pounds--
so if you are less than 180 you can use that Class I---- but leave the
nails and hammer on the ground-- and don't gain any weight. And
when you feel it swaying while you're half-way up, don't worry--
you're right at the max weight.

OTOH- If you weigh 150, don't need to go over 12' high, and don't
carry things up the ladder, a class III will be plenty.

If it were me, I'd much rather have a Class IAA that was 20 yrs old
than a brand new Class I. I've got a used fiberglass that I don't
mind lugging around a couple times a year for the security it gives me
over the Aluminum ladders I could afford a few years ago.

Look at his chart that Don posted-
http://www.sizes.com/tools/ladders.htm

Remember that when you turn 40 God gives you 40 pounds for 'good
behavior'.

Jim