Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair
default default is offline

Default Latching relays with push-button reset

On Mon, 04 Sep 2006 11:46:00 -0400, mm
wrote:

I was looking in the Mouser CD and all their latching relays had to be
reset electrically.

Does anyone know where I could get a latching relay that is reset
physically, such as by pushing a button on top of the relay?

I want to replace the relay on my furnace control board. I want a
DPDT switch if atll possible, and I think the furnace control runs on
24 volts iirc, but I think I could add something if the relay voltage
isn't right.

Thanks

A 3PDT relay might do it, depending on how (what) initiates its
closing.

One set of contacts provides the latch and the normally closed contact
is in series with its own coil. Once the relay closes it stays closed
because that contact is wired to the power source directly. To cause
it to open you add a normally closed push button in series with the
contact that is holding it closed. Relay will open if the button is
pressed and there's no other source of power telling it to close.

Or just get a two coil device and add a PB in series with the other
coil. Not too many relays allow mechanical intervention (except
industrial motor starters and then it is to close the contacts only)