Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
[email protected] ivy.dolan@gmail.com is offline

Default Linden or basswood tree for bowls

Turn it then carve it. Or turn it then apply marbling. Just because
it's bland should not condemn the product to be uninteresting. jim

wrote:
Tom wrote:

Is this tree any good for turning bowls?

It's lovely for anything, but it might be a little soft for heavy use
(American basswood is harder than the European linden species though).
As others have said it's also a little bland.

I'd save it for carving. Always plenty of demand for it as carving
blanks, either squares or flat.

I also use mine for Japanese-style cabinetry, instead of some of the
Japanese timbers I can't easily obtain. A friend makes conga drums from
it and has even made a dugout canoe!