Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Emily P Emily P is offline

Default Full sized or Midi / Mini tools for 5" x 3/8" spindles?

Hello,

I am a full time woodworker but brand new to woodturning. I am planning
on purchasing a jet mini lathe and I am about to buy my first set of
tools. I was looking at the Henry Taylor mini tools as a possibility.
After doing some reading on the forum to get some recommendations I
noticed that just about everyone seems to recommend going with full
sized tools over midi / mini tools. I am wondering if that is always
the case even if you are only looking to turn small scale objects - no
bowls full sized spindles, etc? I am buying the lathe to do some
production runs of a very specific small scale item for my business -
spindles less 3/8" diameter tapering to 1/16" between 4-7" long with
beads coves etc. These will be crochet hooks and needlework tools. My
question is given what I will be turning would you still advise buying
full sized tools?

Thanks,
Emily