Posted to rec.woodworking
Jim Jim is offline

Default Looking for a source of thin boards

"John Flatley" wrote in message

"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" "mywebaccts (at)
PLUGcomcast.net" wrote in message
. ..
| I need to find a good source for thin boards (about
1/8") for doing
| fretwork. The BORGs have decent thin oak boards, but
not very wide.
| Doing a nice portrait of animal drawing (using a 2/0
spiral blade)
| doesn't give the right effect on 1/4" boards ..
particularly when you
| when to create a relief effect by overlaying them.
|
| Does anyone know where I can find a good source for
thin boards of
| various wood types ... with decent widths available?
|
| Thanks!
|
| Jack

I've had great wood and service from Sloan's Woodshop
in Tennessee. Down to 1/8" on the various hardwoods
and down to 1/32" on plywood.

www.sloanswoodshop.com

others to try:

Ocooch Hardwoods in Wisconsin

(www.ocoochhards.com)

D&D Woodcrafts in Pennsylvania

(www.danddwoodcrafts.com)

If you're scrolling, take a look at Scroll Saw
Woodworking & Crafts magazine. (formerly Scroll Saw
Workshop) The articles and the ads are worth looking
at.

No financial interest, just a happy customer.

John Flatley
Jacksonville, Florida

Both Rockler and Woodcraft list wood of various species in varying
thicknesses.

Just last night, David Marks made his own thin wood strips for a veneering
project. He used a band saw and a drum sander. You could substitute a
belt sander for the drum sander.

But, you will need a lot of wood before you would save money by making your
own.

Jim