Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Roger is offline

Default American toilets

The message
from Chris J Dixon contains these words:

AEI was taken over by GEC some years before GEC took over English
Electric. The EECo takeover would have been somewhere around 1967.

Not quite.

Memory fades and I had forgotten that the 2 takeovers were so close together.

In 1967, I joined AEI on a thin sandwich course. GEC took them
over later that year.

If AEI hadn't been so dilatory in arranging an interview I might have
been there on a thin sandwich in 1962 but as it was I was about to
accept EECos offer by the time they invited me to interview. Stafford
had been a hard enough place to get to from NE Essex in Easter 1962 and
Manchester would have been worse so I declined.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_Electric

That history seems to have been written by someone with a rail traction
bias. Stafford was EECos headquarters but you couldn't tell that from
the write-up and you could search the production range with a magnifying
glass and not find the slightest hint of what had been manufactured
there. If nothing else a list of the power stations they made generators
for would seem to have more relevance than a list of obscure diesel
units.

--
Roger Chapman