Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] johnbrian.lacey@btinternet.com is offline

Default Opinions please-Should an old c/h system be replaced ?

The c/h boiler in our house is at least35 yrs old, the pipes and
radiators must be a similar age.
The boiler is serviced each year, it works fine. Basic , simple
controls, just water temp and timer for ch and hw. I am a great
believer in 'if it aint broke then don't fix it !' I know that it is
not efficient but it keeps us warm and causes no problems. I asked the
service engineer about replacing and he told me that a new boiler would
have problens with the mucky water in our old but sound pipes and lots
of double panel rads. Big water flow through lots of big pipes then
going into a new boiler that would not like any contaminated water at
all. New boiler I can cope with but not a complete c/h system in an old
property that is our home ! His opinion of modern boilers was not high
, he is ex British Gas. Poor quality metals used, regular parts failure
after only 3/4 yrs etc.

Any opinions on this would be helpful.

Thanks

Brian