Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] nospamtodd@yahoo.com is offline

Default Whirlpool Washer?

Here is an idea. The pump on a direct drive machine is connected
directly to the motor, and so is the gearcase through a coupler. If
there is something in the pump that is keeping the impeller from
moving, then the motor may try to start just a bit before it binds, and
this may be the sound you hear. You can access the pump by tilting the
machine back. It is right underneath, at the front. Release the clips
at top and bottom that hold it to motor, swing it off the motor and out
of the way, and then start your machine back up in spin. If it spins,
then you know that the pump is the fix. You can remove it from its
hoses by releasing the two clamps. Remove whatever is in there, or
replace it. I bet you'll find a garment. Let me know if I was right.