Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom The Great Tom The Great is offline

Default chimney inspection/cleaning

On 4 Sep 2006 07:56:35 -0700, "House Maven" wrote:

I have a wood burning fireplace that I use about once a week. It has a
metal flue.

How often does it need professional inspection or cleaning. It was
checked when I bought the house 7 years ago.

A few things....

1. What ever it must be, I think you are over due.

2. I would contact your insurance company, some have 'required
maintainance' to maintain underwriting protection.

3. I would contact your fire company. If they are honest they will
inform you of the NFPA suggestions, and their own observations. I've
run into paid companys that 'refuse' to advise home owners of any
information, I guess they get paid per fire.

4. I would only use a BBB rated, company. I've seen too many fly by
night certifications peddled on the net. So stick with a sweep with a
long standing good reputation, also fully insured, and complient with
all local codes and licenses.

Just a FYI, since it is your home, not mine.

In My Humble Option,

tom @ www.NoCostAds.com