Posted to alt.home.repair

Default refinishing wood floors

"mo" wrote in message
news:0hXKg.3347$%75.2132@trnddc05...
OK, I have a house built in the 1930`s with Northern
Pine as my bedroom floors. I just finished sanding off all the old
finish. My question is do I need to seal the floor before I polyurathane
it or is it not necessary to seal before the finish?
Also what is a good sealer and polyurathane? Or should a varnish
or shellac be used instead of poly? Thanks

No sealer is needed. If using an oil based poly, thin the first coat with
mineral spirits about 20%.

Polyurethane is a varnish. Many floor finishers use the water base as it
does not have the odors of the oil based. Water is more clear, oil gives
warmer color.

I like shellac, but it is rarely used on floors these days. Poly is usually
easier to care for and is very durable.