Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Sam Goldwasser Sam Goldwasser is offline

Default Microwave oven blows main fuse

Dan_Musicant writes:

On Mon, 04 Sep 2006 14:35:16 GMT, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

:The 125 volt 15 amp fuse is fine as long as you use it on a 120 volt circuit
:that is usually the case. Most will not be wired for a 240 volt circuit.
:The voltage rating for a fuse is the maximum voltage and any voltage under
:that is fine. The current rating should be the same.
:When a fuse is operated near the maximum current rating and is turned off
:and on a lot , they can blow for no apparent reason. If it is a glass fuse
:you can see it, they usually just 'sag out'. That is the element seems to
:sag down . If the glass is coated with the silver color then you may have
:a major problem as the fuse blew all at once .
:
:Interlock switches are prtoection switches. Usually if you open the door
:there will be a switch to cut off the power. While your oven may not have
:it, some electrical devices will have a switch that will short the high
:voltage to the case or ground to discharge the capacitors when the case is
:removed.

This MW is an Emerson MT3070 manufactured in 1991 in Korea.

The fuse that was bad doesn't have transparent glass. I suppose it's
what they call a ceramic fuse. You'd never know it was blown, but it has
infinite resistance with my multimeter.

Can I assume that since the oven works with a replacement fuse that the
interlock switches are OK? Thanks for the help.

Probably. With the oven plugged in, open and close the door a bunch of
times. There will usually be an interlock switch that actually is wired
across the line and blows the fuse if the interlocks don't take place in
the correct sequence. If the fuse survives opening and closing the door,
the interlocks are probably OK, at lesat with respect to fuse blowing.

See the Microwave Oven Repair Guide at:

http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/micfaq.htm

or the info at: http://www.gallawa.com/microtech/