Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dan_Musicant Dan_Musicant is offline

Default Microwave oven blows main fuse

On Mon, 04 Sep 2006 14:35:16 GMT, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

:The 125 volt 15 amp fuse is fine as long as you use it on a 120 volt circuit
:that is usually the case. Most will not be wired for a 240 volt circuit.
:The voltage rating for a fuse is the maximum voltage and any voltage under
:that is fine. The current rating should be the same.
:When a fuse is operated near the maximum current rating and is turned off
:and on a lot , they can blow for no apparent reason. If it is a glass fuse
:you can see it, they usually just 'sag out'. That is the element seems to
:sag down . If the glass is coated with the silver color then you may have
:a major problem as the fuse blew all at once .
:
:Interlock switches are prtoection switches. Usually if you open the door
:there will be a switch to cut off the power. While your oven may not have
:it, some electrical devices will have a switch that will short the high
:voltage to the case or ground to discharge the capacitors when the case is
:removed.

This MW is an Emerson MT3070 manufactured in 1991 in Korea.

The fuse that was bad doesn't have transparent glass. I suppose it's
what they call a ceramic fuse. You'd never know it was blown, but it has
infinite resistance with my multimeter.

Can I assume that since the oven works with a replacement fuse that the
interlock switches are OK? Thanks for the help.