Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dan_Musicant Dan_Musicant is offline

Default Radiation hazards from inefficient microwave oven?

On Mon, 04 Sep 2006 05:26:50 GMT, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

:JANA wrote:
:
: It's common that the magnetron starts to go weak after a number of years.
: Also, the main capacitor in the power supply may be starting to fail.
:
:
: That is an oil filled film HV capacitor. When they "Start to fail"
:they don't waste your time. They are generally either good, open, or a
:dead short. All the bad ones I've seen were a dead short, but i had a
:nice pile of good used ones from scrap ovens. A lot of controller boards
:die here in Florida with all of the lightning, so I save the
:transformers, Magnetrons and HV parts. Come to think of it, I've never
:had a new microwave oven, and the most I've paid for one was $2 for one
:with a shorted interlock switch. I have three working units right now
:that were given to me, all in like new condition.

I found a MW oven in the street a few weeks ago and brought it home
thinking it either works or I'll tear it open and salvage the magnets.

It seemed dead, but yesterday I opened it up and the fuse tested dead
(250v, 15amp). I had a 125v 15 amp fuse and putting it in, the oven
appears to work.

Two questions:

1. Can I leave that fuse in there or should I get a 250v 15 amp instead?

2. A MW oven troubleshooting site says:

NOTE: Fuses do not usually blow on their own. A fuse may blow because of
problems with the interlock switches or with high voltage circuitry. It
is also possible, though rare, that a power surge will cause a fuse to
blow.

I have a MW oven I prefer, and figure to store this in my garage for
that day when my current one dies (they always seem to eventually). What
are the interlock switches and can I fix a bad one? Or is it possible I
could fix a high voltage circuitry problem? TIA for some help.

Dan