Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Roger is offline

Default American toilets

The message
from "Bob Eager" contains these words:

Whatever did happen to A.E.I. G.E.C. English Electric, Metro Cammell,
Elliot Automation, Lyons Electronic Office, Marconi ?

GEC merged with Marconi...who didn't collapse until this government..

Elliott and EE merged with ICT to form ICL. Do try and keep up. LEO were
made by EE. Lyons closed under this government too.

I have only just come across this so excuse the late reply but IIRC Bob
has misremembered his history.

AEI was taken over by GEC some years before GEC took over English
Electric. The EECo takeover would have been somewhere around 1967.

Marconi was a wholly owned subsidiary (one of many) of English Electric
who also had an interest in ICL. ICL may well have been formed by a
merger with EECos computer interests but EECo per se did not merge with
the other computer firms.

Marconi was eventually selected as the name for the rump GEC which was
left after the better enterprises were all sold off. I don't know if the
name had remained in use for the whole of the intervening period but it
easily could have.

--
Roger Chapman