Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default How to operate a draincock

John Stumbles wrote:

Quite often the washer sticks to the seat of the valve so no water comes
out until you open the valve quite a long way, or worse still it comes off
the little peg that's supposed to hold it onto the moving jumper (which
you're unscrewing) or simply disintegrates, so you can neither get water
to drain freely nor shut the damn thing off fully again.

Yes, you seem to get two different qualites of valves like these - the
expensive ones which are at best adequate but a PITA, and the cheap ones
which are a whole lot worse!

I did a hard piped drain on my system to avoid needing to use these
things - I teed into an existing pipe at a low point, and took another
pipe through wall to an adjacent gully. A decent quality (screwdriver
operated) service valve takes care of the draining. So much easier than
having to tit about with bits of hosepipe.

--
Cheers,

John.