Andy Hall

Default electric shower

On 8 Sep 2003 12:45:06 -0700, (Ben)
wrote:

Hi, i'd like to install a power shower on the cheap!

Next to my bathroom is a cupboard that was originally intended for an
imersion heater, i've a combi boiler thingy so the imersion is not
needed.

Can i use the electrical wiring from the outlet intended for the
imersion heater to power my shower. It would save any additional
wiring throughout my home. The imersion outlet is seperate on my fuse
box with an 16A fuse.

Cheers.

Presumably you mean an electrically heated shower run from the cold
water mains....

If so, no the immersion heater supply (neither cable nor fuse) are
adequate.

You would need to install a more substantial cable and increase the
fuse to the appropriate ratings recommended by the shower
manufacturer. *DO NOT* just increase the fuse without uprating the
cable unless you fancy a visit from the fire brigade.

The other type of power shower is simply an electric pump, which you
could run from this electrical supply after adding a fused connection
unit to the end of the cable. However, these showers are intended to
operate with low pressure, tank fed systems, not mains water combi
boilers.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl