Posted to uk.d-i-y
JupiterJon JupiterJon is offline

Default insulating walls

"mushymanrob" wrote in message
ups.com...
hi

i have an old house..80 odd years.. the plaster is pretty caput and
theres no cavity wall. what i want to do is insulate the outer walls as
im renovating it. i figured that if i could get some insulation, then
put plasterboard over it then id have new walls and an insulated house.

is this idea possible?

what insulation should i use?

how would i fix the plasterboard over the insulation? battens?

I am planing to do this myself. I think as others have mentioned you need
to consider window reveals skirting architraves etc So if you have lots of
original features this could be costly to reinstate. Another consideration
is condensation on the brick work wall behind the insulation. You have to
avoid this at all costs. My architect has said that he will ask e.g.
celotex to do some calculations so that the thickness of insulation ensures
the dew point is still within the masonery wall. If it condenses on the
surface you will have big problems in the future that will far outweigh the
energy savings.

2p
Jon