Posted to alt.home.repair
peter peter is offline

Default GFI question

wrote in message
I have a GFI that won't re-set. It's in the garage, but also is linked
to the outlets in one of the bathrooms. Nothing unusual has happened.
I was working in the bathroom last night, but nothing today, and it
only tripped within the past couple of hours. I press the re-set, and
it pushes back against me. Any thoughts, or how I would troubleshoot
it? Thanks!

either a bad GFI, or a ground fault, or a tripped circuit breaker. First
make sure circuit breaker is not tripped.

Unplug and turn off everything in the bathroom and garage that is on this
circuit. Can you reset the GFI now?

If not, turn off the power to this circuit and remove the GFI receptacle
from the wall in the garage, disconnect the two wires from the "load" side
of the GFI. Now turn on the power, can you reset the GFI?

If not, you have a bad GFI. Just to be sure, test to make sure there is
power going into the GFI.

If yes, then something downstream is causing a ground fault. Normally wiring
and receptacles are not likely to be the cause unless water got into them.