Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jim Land Jim Land is offline

Default Klipsch KSW10 transformer

Steve Walker wrote in news:xZLKg.1446$xh4.679
@trnddc04:

I need a replacement power transformer for this unit. The numbers on

the
transformer are 042-010078-000. Underneath this is ELY 0241. It also

has
a sticker marked H.P. Two blue input wires, center tapped outputs,

outer
two yellow, inner one white. Outputs measure 1.5 ohms to center, both
sides, and 3.0 ohms outer. Input side is open. Can anyone recommend a
source? Klipsch will not talk to me, as I'm not an authorized repair
center, just a home guy fixing his own stuff. It was given to me free,
and I'd like to fix it. It doesn't appear to be cooked, as the lacquer
is not burnt, and no burnt smell.

Apparently the primary winding has opened up. This is a bit strange for
a quality product like Klipsch. Time to investigate and see if it's
something simple, like a disconnected wire.

Remove it from wherever it's mounted (if you haven't already) and examine
it. Figure out how it was assembled and start dis-assembling it,
particularly the primary winding.

Can you find a break in the connections to the primary winding? Has a
wire come loose from a terminal? If so, solder it back together.

Can you unwind the primary winding? If it's easy to unwind it, do it!
Count the turns as you unwind them, measure the length of the wire, and
figure out what size wire is used. Buy some new wire and re-wind the
primary.

If the secondary winding interferes with unwinding the primary, consider
unwinding the secondary first.

Transformer is useless as it is, so why not have a learning experience
with it?