Posted to sci.electronics.repair
default default is offline

Default Radiation hazards from inefficient microwave oven?

On 2 Sep 2006 12:45:50 -0700, "
wrote:

Hello,

My microwave oven is old, and has had the usual abuse (spills,
occasional sparks because of foil, etc).

After a few years, I notice that it heats up a cup of water slower than
it used to. Several explanations are possible, but I'm wondering about
this one:
Is the radiation likely to be leaking out into the rest of the kitchen?
Or is it probably something more benign, such as less power being fed
to the oscillator?

Thank you very much!

Ted Shoemaker

Unlikely it is leaking. More likely the magnetron isn't working as
well or cap or diode bad. They all seem to get weaker over time.

You should be able to calculate the power and how long it should water
to boil - I did come across a reference to that as a test some time
ago when I had the same problem.