Posted to sci.electronics.repair
3T39 3T39 is offline

Default Is a newer car radio to integrated to be pulled for another?

Hello, davidlaska!
You wrote on 1 Sep 2006 15:00:12 -0700:

d 3T39 wrote:
?? Hello, davidlaska!
?? You wrote on 1 Sep 2006 13:00:29 -0700:
??
d The bottom line is , It can be done. The extra wires can be dealt
d with as I listen to music with it. But what is the code deal again,
d is it some disabling thing rendering it useless in another car? Is it
d a push once and reset or some complicated factory rom flash reset
d or worse?
??
?? Yes the coded radios use an eeprom to store a code number which has to
?? be re-entered after power is removed . they are supposed to discourage
?? theft but only ever caused legitimate users grief when they simply
?? forgot the code after a few years. Ford radios were the worst for
?? this, but other makers embraced the technology for a while, I don't
?? know how common they are nowadays. Of course, thieves never worried
?? about it, as the right equipment can erase and re-code the eeprom and
?? they always know a scally who can get it done cheap. And incidentaly
?? this is the 'always on' power wire that another poster mentioned.
??
?? With best regards, 3T39. E-mail:
d Could I further assume that removing the battery from the car would
d trigger the code, I have removed the battery to exchange it and did not
d have to enter a code. I hope this is it.

Yes, that's quite right. If you have removed the battery in the past and the
radio worked fine after replacing the battery, then your radio is not coded,
so that's one more thing you don't have to worry about.

With best regards, 3T39. E-mail: