Posted to rec.woodworking
Clint Clint is offline

Default tried to fix armoire uh oh

Second lesson... Test on a hidden area before attempting anything remotely
risky on a frontal type area.

IOW, if you're going to continue mucking around, find a hidden area (bottom,
back, etc), use the acetone to remove a tiny bit of the finish, and see if
you can fix that BEFORE you have at the front.

Personally, I think the idea of trying to get the delivery company or
original manufacturer to fix it is the best idea. But I wouldn't let anyone
from the actual delivery company itself touch it before finding out exactly
what they plan to do. Who knows, maybe the guy who gave you the bad advice
in the first place learned everything he knows from his boss...

Clint

"LRod" wrote in message
On Sun, 3 Sep 2006 15:34:00 -0400, "G. Doughty"
wrote:

My wife and I just bought a brand new, beautiful, expensive armoire. It
was
delivered, but it was so deep that I had to take the molding off the door
get it into the bedroom. Anyways, when the guys brought it in, they still
managed to have paint from the jamb rub onto the piece. The guys told me,
"No big deal, just softly rub the paint with nail polish remover." OK,
well, being the dummy I am, I tried it. The paint is gone, but so is the
stain. I know have faded splotches where the paint used to be, and a rag
with a bunch of stain on it. I did not even rub hard. Anyways, any ideas
about how to fix this? The armoire is made of mahogoney

First lesson. Never, ever use nail polish remover as the first level
of test solvent. Acetone (what it really is) is one of the more
agressive of solvents, even more so than lacquer thinner.

Not only should the delivery guys's bosses (presumably the furniture
dealer) be responsible for the repair, but the guy's boss who
recommended the nail polish remover should take him aside for a
corrective interview.

None of this should have fallen on you (including removing the
molding).

K4QG

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

care to correspond with you anyway.