Posted to uk.d-i-y
John White John White is offline

Default UK wiring diagrams domestic

wrote:

jim wrote:
wrote:
David Hansen wrote:

Judging from your initial post it might be advisable to pause a while
for some basic study before you make a BIG expensive error due to
transferring assumptions that you might make in electronics to domestic
cabling & finding they don't apply.

Take care.

I would second that advice.

If I follow the guides for cable sizes with regards floor area and
cable length and follow installation as per regulations I cant see
where I can go wrong. I am only installing one consumer unit two ring
mains ( one spur off one for an extractor hood) two lighting ccts one
switching two ceiling roses and one switching one light two way and
another one way.
A cooker and hob, earth all pipework with 6mm? earth bond and straps
the runs for the cooker and hob will be 5 metres so I take it I will
use 16mm,

A few other things to consider as well:

- Before you start you will need to do your calculations for cable
sizes and the like. There are many things to take into consideration
here such as diversity, voltage drop, grouping factors and the like.

- Your new installation will need to comply with the Building Regs
(parts L,M &P in particular) as well as the IEE Wiring Regs, but your
BCO can help to guide you.

- Sockets that could be used to supply outdoor equipment should be
protected by a RCD. It is good practice to make sure the RCD tripping
does not switch off other circuits where there could be an impact on
safety.

- You will need to purchase or hire the appropriate test gear, as most
multi-meters are not up to the job. You should also look up how to
fill in the associated paperwork. The forms tend to use a lot of
abbreviations (such as TN-C-S, PFC, Ze, Zs, R1+R2) but a good guide to
the subject will cover this.

Incidentally your earthing conductor between the Board's earth
terminal (or the earth electrode in TT systems) and your main earthing
terminal should be 16mm. The main equipotential bonding conductors to
the water and gas will be 10mm, and supplementary equipotential
bonding conductors are normally 4mm.

the only thing I cant work out in my head is the double switch, but
the book should sort that out.

A quick search in Google for "two way switching" should also produce
results.

I would like to complete it myself as I enjoy the "DIY" thing, the
plumbing will be fine as well as the extension of the heating system.

Very good. There's no reason why you should not do so. It will be a
steep learning curve though.

John
--
John White,