Posted to uk.d-i-y
jim jim is offline

Default UK wiring diagrams domestic

wrote:
jim wrote:
wrote:
David Hansen wrote:
On 3 Sep 2006 10:59:11 -0700 someone who may be

wrote this:-

//snip//

Take care.

If I follow the guides for cable sizes with regards floor area and
cable length and follow installation as per regulations I cant see
where I can go wrong. I am only installing one consumer unit two ring
mains ( one spur off one for an extractor hood) two lighting ccts one
switching two ceiling roses and one switching one light two way and
another one way.
A cooker and hob, earth all pipework with 6mm? earth bond and straps
the runs for the cooker and hob will be 5 metres so I take it I will
use 16mm,

the only thing I cant work out in my head is the double switch, but
the book should sort that out.

My point is that you'd be far better placed to undertake this work if
you have a basic understanding of why the 'guides' are as they are. &
if you know your electronics, it isn't rocket science.

I would like to complete it myself as I enjoy the "DIY" thing, the
plumbing will be fine as well as the extension of the heating system.

No objection to you doing it all yourself, indeed quite the opposite as
I'm right behind you, but please take a little time to understand the
different flavour of domestic wiring over electronic circuits.

There's all the advice you need available on this group.

But if you end up having to correct or redo your work that will take
far more time than you'd spend taking stock now. Replacing electric
cable buried in a wall is a messy slow job (and the plaster finish
never goes back flat like it was), plus throwing away wrong fittings &
buying replacements is expensive.

Your query re connecting light switches is, to me, just an indicator
that some taking stock is needed. Electronics is full of multi-gang,
multi-way, multi-pole switches which seldom occur in wiring. Same
theory but a different way of looking at things.

Your mention of 6mm2 earth bond (above) sounds out of kilter too. You'd
be wise to google this group on the subject of bonding & earthing
(which are different things and another major departure point between
wiring practice & electronics). There's been a regular flow of threads
on these subjects over the last 2 or 3 years.

I'm also apprehensive as to where you have obtained your cable size and
length recommendations [eg 5m x 16mm" cable?? - most new cookers are
rated for a 30A circuit, so 6mm2 is usually sufficient & if not,
10mm2.].

If you are installing a consumer unit then technically it should have
the disconnect time checked, though I'd be sure many new ones go in
unchecked on the basis of them having been factory QC tested. There's
several other things like earth leakage which should be checked as
well.

A quick scan of

http://www.kevinboone.com/cableselec...20selection%22

might help you understand something of the issues involved:

Please take stock before getting down to work.

Good luck.

..