Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Outside Light Wiring Questions

On Sun, 3 Sep 2006 16:32:35 -0400, "Robert11"
wrote:

Hello:

Want to put up an external light (flood light type) high over my Deck.

There is already a small light that is fed by wiring thru the siding at a
lower height..

Will dump this light and put in its place a weathertight Aluminum Bell (the
mfg., I think) type of box, and run
about 6 feet of the grey electrical tubing up alongside of the siding to

I hate conduit on the outside of a house. I looked around and lo and
behold, there was a receptacle below my second floor window, in the
middle left to right. I went up a foot or two and to mount the switch
there, mounted the light box from the inside with a hole leading to
the fixture, and then mounted the double flood on the outside of the
house. Did all this without a ladder, just by leaning a little bit
out the window.

Oh yeah, since that is the wall I lean agaist when I'm in bed, I used
a forget-the-name decorator rocker switch, the one that takes a cover
plate with a big rectangular hole, and an extra layer of foam
underneath, so the switch rocker fits below the surface of the wall
plate, and I don't turn it on or off by accident.

Seems likely that whereever you have a light switch or outlet inside
the house, you can go up or down a few feet and mount the light on the
outside.

where the light will go to contain the wires.