Posted to alt.home.repair
peter peter is offline

Default adding light inside a closet

"Wayne Whitney" wrote in message

Here's what the 2002 NEC has to say, section 410.8, quick paraphrase:

No fixtures with bare incandescent bulbs or pendant fixtures. Other
fixtures may be mounted on the ceiling or on the wall above the door.

You have to have sufficient clearance between the light fixture and
"storage space". Storage space is defined as the volume within a
certain distance horizontally of the side and back walls. Between 0
and 6 feet high, the distance is 24". Above 6 feet high, the distance
is the greater of 12" and the width of any shelving.

Surface-mount enclosed incandescent fixtures must have 12" of
clearance to storage space.

Surface-mount fluorescent fixtures, and all recessed fixtures, must
have 6" of clearance to storage space.

I just tried to read the 2005 NEC. I believe the rules are the same,
although the description is not as plain as your paraphrase. I just look at
the illustration.

However, I could not find any rules about where the switch can be placed
(outside or inside the closet) in section 404, so I guess I can put it
anywhere I want as long as it is under 6.5 feet high.

Someone suggested simple light bulb on a ceramic base. This would be allowed
if the bulb is fully enclosed, per NEC:

"Incandescent fixture with open or partially enclosed lamps... shall
not be permitted."

Now I need to find out how much the permit would cost