Posted to alt.home.repair
RLM RLM is offline

Default Rural mailbox question

On Sun, 03 Sep 2006 09:26:01 -0400, RLM wrote:

On Sun, 03 Sep 2006 11:29:25 +0000, Robert Gammon wrote:

If the bobber is up, the door is open. This does not necessarily tell
you if there is mail inside.

If the bobber is up the door *has been opened*. Only the mailman opens my
box. Then only to deposit or pick up mail. Never had any problems with
local kids getting in our mailbox here.

When the door closes again, are you saying that the weight of the
washer is enough to hold the bobber high on the back, allowing the cord
between the washer and the door to curl up??

That's correct.

If the washer is heavy enough, and the bobber light enough, yes. I might
go for a 3/8 nut rater than the washer just to be sure.

The 3/8" washer and the friction of the cord exiting the hole was always
enough to hold the bobber in place for me. I used a 1-1/4" plastic bobber
that is easily visible from the house. I see no problem with the extra
weight of a 3/8 nut or more weight if you choose to use a really large
bobber. You may have a greater distance that you have to view it from. The
weight just slides on the bottom of the mailbox so it doesn't offer that
much friction when opening the door of the box.

Then when you walk out to get the mail, you pull the bobber back down
into place.

That's correct. Close the box after removing the mail and pull the bobber
down in back. It is then ready for the next time the mailman opens the box
to deliver the mail.

With the door wide open, and the *weight lying* on the bottom of the
box. The bobber should be attached near the point on the cord where it
exits the rear of the box.

The two sentences above are wrong, I thought about this after I sent
this. With the door wide open, pull on the cord at the rear of the box
enough to raise the weight off the bottom of the box. Then attach the
bobber near the point that the cord exits the box.

This way when the door is closed the bobber can be pulled down.

Snipped