Posted to alt.home.repair
jeffc jeffc is offline

Default Interior paint opinions -- walls vs. ceilings

"jeffreydesign" wrote in message
oups.com...
Darker on the walls, however a white ceiling isn't always the best idea
- you may want to consider a complimentry color (several shades
lighter) for the ceiling. It really depends on your room, the lighting,
etc.

One thing I do when painting walls/ceilings that always gets positive
comments is I cut the wall color in about 1/4" below the actual ceiling
line. The reason this is done is that the actual line is RARELY
straight and if you have a lot of color difference between the walls
and the ceiling you don't want a jagged line (it will show.) I cut it
in slowly by hand and the results are spectacular and really worth the
effort.

OK I'm intrigued. You seem to know what you're talking about but I remain
skeptical and would like more convincing :-) But I have done a little
professional painting myself and your technique about painting a line with
tape was correct, so you have some credibility with me.

When you say the ceiling line is rarely straight, do you mean the drywall
guys didn't leave a perfectly square and straight angle to work with?
That's usually true. But I'm having a hard time visualizing what you're
talking about. But I want to learn new techniques. It seems that 1/4"
extra space would look goofy. As you know, shadows and contrast change
right at the angle between walls or wall and ceiling. That's why you can
use a *slightly* off shade of paint on one wall, and no one will ever know
if you paint the line accurately in a good line at the corner. The color
always appears to change at the corner anyway. So won't it do the same
thing on the ceiling corner if you paint white down 1/4" onto the wall?
Please explain more, and thanks for bringing this up.