Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ken Moon Ken  Moon is offline

Default newbie: pen making advice

"bear" wrote in message ...
Hello everyone. My name is Troy and I'm brand new to turning. I don't
even have a lathe yet. I'm thinking of making tops, pens, pencils,
pointers, parts for toy cars, etc.
I am disabled and so don't have a lot of money to throw around. Can
someone please guide me in the right direction? I don't mind starting
simple and then getting better tools later.

Troy
knoxville, iowa

============================

Bear,
You didn't say if your disability has you in a whel chair or not. IF you
are/will be turning from a chair, then the suggestions you will be getting
for Jet or Delta mini/midi lathes or their many clones, should be weighed
carefully. The position of the motor (under the ways at the headstock end)
on these lathes makes it difficult to turn from a wheel chair. This is due
to the relatively high position of the spindle centerline. Ideally, the
spindle should be at or near the height of your elbow when you're in your
turning position. In a chair, you will need to be able to slide under a
table holding the lathe. This will add at least 2-3 inches to your "lap
height". Then the spindle will be about 10 inches above the table top level,
or about 12-13 inches above your lap. This puts you in an awkward position
of trying to turn "side arm", with your elbow flapping in the breeze, and
not at your side as is preferred. Two ways around this:

1. Get a lathe with the motor mounted BEHIND the lathe. 2 examples of tiese
are the Jet 1236 (mounted on the head stock), and the Sears monotube, with
the motor mounted behind the head stock. Neither of these have a stelar
reputation, but are acceptable for small projects.

2. Have a custom bench/stand built for the lathe of your choice which mounts
the lathe at an angle leaning toward you, or mounted so that it is in a
horizontal plane with the spipndle nearest you. Either mode of mounting has
it's own installation/ operating problems (toolrest, switches, unbalanced
load distribution, etc.)

I've been a chair since November, 2000. When I got sick, I was using a Sears
monotube, later changed over to a Jet 1236 clone from HF, which has done
well for me. YMMV

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX.