Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Kelly John Kelly is offline

Default Damp smell in extension to modern house

Dave Fawthrop wrote:
On Sat, 02 Sep 2006 16:47:18 +0100, John Kelly
wrote:

|Our home had an extension built earlier this year. The extension was to
|the side of the house and involved knocking through. After 7 months the
|room smells damp or musty and seems particularly bad in damp weather
|(like we have at the moment). There's no obvious signs of damp around
|the walls or floor and everything seems dry. The room is shaded with a
|large hedge running to the side of it (if this makes any difference).
|What could cause this problem and what can we do about it? It's not very
|pleasant to be in the room.

Suggest you get the room as hot as you can for as long as you can. say
25-30 deg C for a week, with thermostated heaters. That should dry out
the walls, floor and roof. Do it before the warm weather ends and makes
the method *still* more costly.

Also put some extra insulation anywhere you can.

Brute force and ignorance sometimes works where other things have failed.

I have read the rest of the thread.

I'm good at brute force and ignorance :-)

--
John Kelly

remove dimspam if replying by email