Posted to alt.home.repair
jeffreydesign jeffreydesign is offline

Default Interior paint opinions -- walls vs. ceilings

Darker on the walls, however a white ceiling isn't always the best idea
- you may want to consider a complimentry color (several shades
lighter) for the ceiling. It really depends on your room, the lighting,
etc.

One thing I do when painting walls/ceilings that always gets positive
comments is I cut the wall color in about 1/4" below the actual ceiling
line. The reason this is done is that the actual line is RARELY
straight and if you have a lot of color difference between the walls
and the ceiling you don't want a jagged line (it will show.) I cut it
in slowly by hand and the results are spectacular and really worth the
effort.

Another tip; if you're changing color on any vertical line, use blue
painter's tape to make the transition, but before you paint your new
color, paint a light coat of the "other" color over the tape first.
This will prevent bleed-under and give you a distinctly sharp line
between the two colors. If you don't have any of the "other" paint
handy, some have used hairspray to seal up the tape line.

I used to paint professionally and I painted several "stream of dreams"
type houses in Seattle (these are high-end homes put on display to the
public to show the BEST in building/decorating.) I am sort of a
perfectionist, but I find the extra effort to be well worth it, after
all you have to live there and look at it every day!

Jeff

crabshell wrote:
I want to paint most of my interior walls bright white but I'm not sure
what to do about the ceilings. My ceilings have the identical texture as
the walls so the only way to create some contrast is by varying the color.

Should I use a darker white on the ceilings and a bright white on the walls
or would I be better off using the bright white on the ceilings and a
slightly darker white on the walls? Yes, this question may strike some as
ridiculous but it's driving me crazy.

-crabshell