Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn Goedjn is offline

Default Removing rebar from the ground?

On 1 Sep 2006 05:09:41 -0700, "marson" wrote:

Tom Kendrick wrote:
Use a 4"-5" angle grinder with a grinding wheel. I have a 5" 8 amp
angle grinder that would cut each one flush with the rock in less than
a minute per bar. Just cut a groove on 180 degrees or more and bend it
over. Similar to felling a tree. No chain, no jack, no pulling.
Once it's off, grind off any sharp edges and move to the next.

i will add to that by saying buy some cutting wheels for your angle
grinder. they make extermely thin wheels (available in specialty
stores--not big box stores. maybe even an auto parts store) that are s
used for stainless--cut rebar like butter.

On Fri, 01 Sep 2006 01:35:45 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

I have to replace some low retaining walls. The wood is easy because its
all rotted away, but I can't get the rebar that held them out. The ground
is shale, and doesn't want to give them up.

Any magical solutions? I thought of an auto jack, but don't see how to grip
the bars.
Driving them in rather than reusing them is a solution, but driving them a
foot into shale is a real chore!

Drop a short length of black-pipe over the end,
and bend them into a hook, then put a rope around them
in a timber hitch, run the rope over a sawhorse, then
under a sandbag and yank them out with a truck.

The sawhorse is to make the rope pull UP, the
sandbag is to pull the rebar to a stop when
it comes out of the ground like
a kinetic-energy weapon and tries to vaporize
the truck.

But if the rebar won't come out, why not just
drill the replacement timbers to match?