Posted to uk.d-i-y
dg dg is offline

Default Google Sketchup?

BlueJohn wrote:
Has anyone here used Sketchup for semi-accurate modelling?

Not for accuracy, and I find it's sometimes easy to "do something wierd"
to your model and you need to backtrack to change it, but for a
non-autocad user it's certainly easier to grasp.

Agreed it's not for accuracy (although I like the way you define your
shape and just type in the measurements) - hence the "sketch" in the
title I suppose.

I've used it professionally for several years.

It is as accurate as you care to be - lines etc snap to end points or
to other places on other elements, and when drawing a line if you just
enter the length via the keyboard keys then the line will snap to that
length - you won't get any more accurate than that.

It is worth checking out the online videos and tutorials.

AFAIK, the free version will not save to common CAD formats (ie dwg)
for importing to other CAD software for final detailing and layout.
Although it is possible to do proper 2d plans in Sketchup, it is very
tedious and takes too long. Sketchup is really intended for conceptual
design and visualisation.

dg