Posted to alt.home.repair
Alan Alan is offline

Default Painting a roof?

The handyman's bid sounds pretty good to me. This is a DIY project,
and I would do my own at my house, but it's a messy job on the roof
too. Sweep and hose off loose debris, fix any problem areas, and then
use a paint roller to apply the material. Three coats is what you want
for sure, and you want the silver aluminum stuff that's really tricky
to stir, not white or black stuff, unless, the roof is easily seen by
the neighbors. The aluminum stuff will reduce your summer heating
bills and make the roof last longer. Some neighbors might not like
the harsh reflection from silver, or maybe your roof can be seen from a
window in the house, so settle for the white stuff. I wouldn't put
black on the roof unless the house is located inside the artic circle.
The summer heat and UV rays are what ultimately break down the
materials of a flat roof, as it does on any roof, not the rain or snow.
I don't know much about ice dams though since I've never experienced
that at my house in California; maybe black will keep that from
happening, I don't know.

Anthona wrote:
m Ransley wrote:
Handy man? did you look yourself, do you live in a cold area where
winter heating is your main cost, if so black is best, if you live south
where AC is your main cost then white is best, maybe your handy just
needs work, 225 labor, what size is it, roofs roll fast.

The size is 30' x 16' 8" approx 510sq. ft and its not a mobile home