Posted to sci.electronics.repair
davidlaska davidlaska is offline

Default Is a newer car radio to integrated to be pulled for another?

t.hoehler wrote:
"jakdedert" wrote in message
.. .
davidlaska wrote:
My Toyota cressida 86 is dead but the AM/FM stereo with build in
equalizer and tape player and 4 speakers is better than nothing in my
other car. I could not figure out a lot of the wires so tried looking
through my factory service manual and a separate electrical manual for
the cressida. The wiring diagram was very busy. Before I dive into
it, I need to know if these units are tied into the specific car so
much that it would be nearly impossible to move the unit and have it
just play tapes and radio? If possible, that would give me the extra
push needed to trace all those wire throughout the harness ( I have the
whole dash out presently for other things I am doing).

Go to an auto parts store and look at the diagram for an adaptor specific
to your car. They sell these for adapting aftermarket players to generic
equipment. It will have the wire code written (usually on the packaging,
but you might have to buy it, open up the instructions, copy the diagram,
repack and return).

jak

If the new radio has 'high power' outputs, be careful of speaker grounds. On
my car, thre are two leads to each speaker, no commons to the chassis.
Reason is that the radio uses a bridged output circuit which does not return
the speaker minus to chassis. If you ground the minus lead to chassis, you
risk damaging the output IC's.
regards,
tom

I have the toyota,s factory electrical system from toyota and also the
shop one, I have not found any mention of a code. Believe it or not,
there are no take apart diagrams or sections for this.