Posted to uk.d-i-y
BlueJohn BlueJohn is offline

Default Google Sketchup?

Has anyone here used Sketchup for semi-accurate modelling?

Not for accuracy, and I find it's sometimes easy to "do something wierd"
to your model and you need to backtrack to change it, but for a
non-autocad user it's certainly easier to grasp.

Agreed it's not for accuracy (although I like the way you define your
shape and just type in the measurements) - hence the "sketch" in the
title I suppose.

Once I found out about grouping items together, things got easier
because unless you group things they all pile up as one item and you
end up having to back track as you describe.

I'm experimenting with the "walkthrough" functions at the moment, which
are nice in order to get an idea about things like perceived space and
balance. The shadow function has already helped me rule out some
options on the placing of windows and other things (its shows me the
kitchen not getting enough sun in winter, for example).

For sketching out a single room the Ikea kitchen planner can be quite
handy too
http://www.ikea.com/ms/en_GB/complet...oad/index.html

Interesting. I'll take a look at that as well.