Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] bghilliotti@hotmail.com is offline

Default How does the IEC's apprenticeship program work?

How does the IEC's apprenticeship program work?

I went to a local IEC chapter in Rocky Hill, CT, with a whole list of
questions.

When I went into their office, the lady saw my list and said "before
you start asking your questions, are you an employer?"

I said no. She replied that we only accept people who have been
forwarded by employers.

"So you don't take people on an 'off the street' basis?" I replied.

"No."

A little baffled, I left, since I was tired coming off my second job
had to return back to work with my first job in about 5 hours.

From doing my research, I am getting this impression:

To get into the IEC's program, you have to locate a local electrical
contractor which is affiliated with the IEC association. Next, I guess
you ask if

1) They are currently looking for apprentices

2) They would be interested in sponsoring me for the IEC's
appenticeship program.

If the answer is yes to both questions, I presume I do the classwork
with the IEC and do the required number of hours of fieldwork with the
particular sponsor.

Am I correct here, or does it work diiferently from what I have
deduced?

Does IEC have its own aptitude test process?

As for the math issue, I am slower with numbers and quantitative
concepts, though that does not mean I am incapable with them. I found
math to be boring in high school, so I did not put much effort into it.

Now I have a motivation to pay attention and do the best I can with it
(Wanna stay at Wal Mart?).

As always, any suugesstions of other apprenticeships, union or non
union, are always welcome to aid in my research.

I spoke to a rep from IBEW local 40 in Hartford, and he suggested that
folks are trying to avoid working with electrical unions...

Brian Ghilliotti

PS AIT means "advanced individual training".