Posted to alt.home.repair
Brian Attwood Brian Attwood is offline

Default Trouble with adding additional line to telephone

wrote:
Im having a bit of trouble adding a new phone line (number) to another
room. According to the telephone company, the second line is up.

At the outside junction box I see two cables coming from the telephone
pole, with the wires from the cables going to a spaghetti of wires and
screws at the top of the inside of the junction box.

Just below this mess there is a left and right side with each side
having: a jack (with a telephone cable plugged in) and just below that,
four screws: Red, Green, Yellow and Black.

(Im hoping I dont have to wire the spaghetti terminals to the four
terminals below it myself)

The left side has NO wires going to ANY of the R,G,Y,B terminals. and
if I disconnect the cable that goes to the left jack, and plug in a
phone, I hear NO dial tone. Strangely enough, I have reason to
believe that the left side is my WORKING line 1. Even though the jack
doesnt work, and theres no wires, I have no problems with my dsl or my
phone inside the house. Im assuming the connection is being made
somewhere in the bundled rats nest above the terminals.

The right side, which I believe is the additional line that telephone
company installed also has NO dial tone when I connect a phone directly
into the junction box right termial side. It also has no wires going
to any of the terminals below it.

I have telephone cable that is going to the new room where line 2 will
be, since the jack at the junction box itself isnt working (need a dsl
filter?), but Im not sure where (left or right side) it should go.

I know line 2 should be on the yellow and black wires from the phone
company cable, but since theres two cables with two sides its all the
more confusing. Im told that this house used to have 2 or more phone
lines installed...

Im pretty sure I know how the R/G (line1), Y/B (line2) works once the
cable goes in the house and how to wire it to the modular jack
depending on which line you want, but its the outside of the house that
Im having trouble with.

Any suggestions what to look for?

Did you try rewiring any of the existing jacks in the house to work
with the second line?